ABOUT DIVERSE BORNEO
Diverse Borneo is a PADI five star dive centre and scuba diving instructor development centre. Diverse Borneo also known as a scuba diving training school, offering you the very best of scuba diving in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. Our logo is the one you see to the left which is a registered trademark ®. The official company colour is yellow.
Diverse Borneo owns three scuba diving boats operating daily from Jesselton Point, Kota Kinabalu that take just ten minutes to reach Tunku Abdul Rahman Park (TARP) encompassing five islands, a scuba diving Malaysia paradise that should not be missed.
Our team of PADI dive professionals maintains and exceeds PADI standards of safety and group control to ensure your visit to TARP, Kota Kinabalu Sabah is a unique, relaxed and memorable experience in the waters of scuba diving Malaysia’s realm.
Officially opened on the 16th March 2009, Diverse Borneo Sdn Bhd was formed due to the lack of dive equipment shops in Kota Kinabalu. After the granting of our tourism licence in September 2009, our operations quickly expanded to include scuba diving tours and teaching scuba diving courses under PADI regulations. Diverse Borneo uses PADI teaching tools as main education material, includes DVD, log books and manuals. All PADI books used by Diverse Borneo are multilingual and are mainly online manuals.
A month later Diverse Borneo became an official PADI dive centre, and by January 2011, fifteen months since inception, we were awarded by PADI a 5 Star Instructor Development Centre’ (IDC) status, the highest level in the PADI scuba diving education system. We successfully have been teaching PADI instructors and to date we have a 100% pass rate.
Here are the awards and certifications received by Diverse Borneo.
- Certificate Of Excellence awarded by TripAdvisor.com.my for 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.
- 5 Star Dive Centre certification awarded by PADI on 15th April 2010.
- 5 Star Instructor Development Center certification awarded by PADI on 16 Jun 2011.
- Outstanding Contribution To Diver Acquisition 2013 awarded by PADI Asia Pacific.
- Outstanding Contribution To Instructor Development 2012 awarded by PADI Asia Pacific.
- Outstanding Contribution To Diver Education 2011 awarded by PADI Asia Pacific.
- Numerous Certificates of Excellence issued by PADI.
PADI Asia Pacific 2012 Outstanding Contribution of Instructor Development Award
PADI Asia Pacific Outstanding Contribution To Diver Acquisition
PADI Asia Pacific Outstanding Contribution To Diver Education Award 2011
Diverse Borneo’s head office is conveniently located at Lot G30 on the ground floor of the tourism building Wisma Sabah in the city centre of Kota Kinabalu, next to Wisma Merdeka, in front of Gaya Centre Hotel and besides Suria Sabah shopping mall. We have the dive centre at Jesselton Point ferry terminal. At the islands we use Padang Point, Gaya island which is fully serviced as our daily base.
Diverse Borneo is owned by Mr Mark Peter Hedger who is also the Managing Director as well as the full-time Course Director (highest possible ranking in the PADI scuba diving level system) and in charge of all professional scuba diving training. He also trained all the dive team under Diverse Borneo to become certified divers in professional level.
- five (5) fully qualified and insured full time PADI instructors with various levels.
- four (4) PADI Divemasters.
- three (3) boat captains.
- one (1) technician.
- one (1) full time compressor operator.
- one (1) night security.
We continuously work with five (5) other scuba diving instructor from Kota Kinabalu during our busy periods. All of the dive team is Malaysian.
Our head office and scuba diving shop is managed by Mr Alban Samuel that handles the scuba diving booking schedule and our land tour sightseeing operations schedule, one (1) full time accountant, two (2) office staff and two (2) drivers.
IN THE SCUBA DIVING COMMUNITY
Although relatively a newly formed company, the Diverse Borneo team has extensive and strong relationships within the dive community here in Kota Kinabalu as well as throughout Sabah and Malaysia. Within the local community we are the No.1 training agency with over 1000 certifications annually.
OUR MAIN SERVICES
- Scuba diving trips near Kota Kinabalu
- Learning facilities for scuba diving beginners and dive professionals,
- Holiday tours and sightseeing.
- Scuba diving equipment sales and technical servicing.
- Boat transportation service to scuba diving sites around Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park (TARP).
SCUBA DIVING COURSES
DIVING EQUIPMENT SALES & SERVICES
Diverse Borneo owns three fully insured and licensed (by Sabah Ports) dive boats for our scuba diving trips. These boats travel every day to the Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park (TARP). They are 28 feet and 35 feet custom designed speed boats powered by Yamaha 150HP 4 stroke engines, finally a 32 feet Catamaran with twin Yamaha 250HP.
All boats owned by Diverse Borneo are fully equipped with the basic safety equipment of hand flares, life vest and rings, fire extinguisher, paddle, whistle, lights, first aid kits, emergency oxygen GPS navigation, depth finder and radio. Our boats are captained by local Malaysian who ensures a safe 15 minute ride to the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park (TARP) for scuba diving.
We also are affiliated with many operators of accommodation in both Kota Kinabalu and inland, which also enables us to direct as well as recommend accommodation based on our clientele needs. We have our own accommodation located at Gaya Street, Kota Kinabalu called the Fat Rhino Hostel.
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT
Diverse Borneo understands the importance of the environment and the role it plays for current and future generations to come. Our operations exercises due diligence in:
- Awareness of the goods we purchase and consume, and the cost to the environment in the production of those goods.
- Active demonstration of Reduce, Re-use and Recycle philosophy. Firstly by reducing the amount of products we use to a bare minimum, re-using products to avoid purchasing more and lastly to recycle residual waste to minimise landfill.
- Continual education of both staff and guests of the importance of protecting the environment.
OUT IN THE OCEAN
As every journey begins with that first step, we believe in the power we have not as individuals, but collectively as a group to help protect and maintain our marine ecosystems for future generation to enjoy.
- Underwater clean-ups of Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park (TARP).
- Reporting of fish bombing and trapped nets to Sabah Parks.
- Introduction of the underwater world to people via diving courses and excursions.
- Raising awareness of the marine ecosystem and ways to protect it.
ACTIVE MEMBER OF SCUBA DIVING COMMUNITY
As a PADI five star instructor development centre, we actively participate in Project A.W.A.R.E, inclusive of:
- Underwater Cleanups and Marine Debris Prevention.
- Coral Reef Conservation, Monitoring and Data Collection.
- Shark Education, Reporting and Conservation.
- Improved Management Policies and Marine Protection Efforts.
- Environmental Training for Divers and Education Programs for Kids.
Diverse Borneo is also has active participation in:
- International Clean-Up Day.
- Coral Watch.
- International Whale Shark Project.
- Dive for Earth Day.
Diverse Borneo is your best choice for scuba diving in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. Book a trip today and enjoy scuba diving with Diverse Borneo!